Thursday, February 25, 2016

Question Time- Question 2

Question 2

"How do you stop people from upsetting you or annoying you. Emily has a book about temper and it says quite rightly you can't change what other people do, but you can change how you react to what they do. I am really sick of being upset and angry with people, it's a waste of my time and energy, the people won't change so how do I change my reaction?"

I take peoples comments and behaviours personally and always think that people are being critical of me, or that their behaviour is directed at me and I am to blame for it or that they are trying to punish me for being ill and that I am an inferior person.

I get fed up with with Facebook and the like portraying such a blissful image of life and people doing all the things I can't.

I want to be more Mindful and live in the here and now and appreciate what is around me, rather than being so stressed out and missing out of life.


But what does this actually mean?  Dictionary.com defines serenity as "the state or quality of being serene, calm, or tranquil; sereneness."  So basically keeping calm and not letting things that cannot be changed get to you and accepting that even though you might not like it, that's how things are.  In the case of ME accepting that I have an illness and have limitations and that there is nothing I can do to change that so there isn't much point it letting it upset or trying to fight against it and therefore I will feel happier and calmer and get more pleasure from what I am able to do.

Dictionary.com defines courage as "the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery."  The first thing that springs to mind here is the lion in Wizard of Oz, who wanted to be braver. A search of Wikipedia says of the lion "the Cowardly Lion believes that his fear makes him inadequate. He does not understand that courage means acting in the face of fear, which he does frequently. "  Yes I can relate to that which brings to mind another quote from my favourite bear;


According to Dictionary.com Wisdom is "the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgement as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight."  Google says it is "the fact of being based on sensible or wise thinking." Apparently I am not wise as I do not have my wisdom teeth!  Well I had one removed and I have one painfully trying to sprout.  We do always seem to think that it is older people who are wise because of what they have lived through and experienced.  From an ME point of view it is wise to accept the illness and keep to our limitations, and look after ourselves, but it doesn't feel wise it feels like giving in.

I am going to put on my serene, courageous, wise head on now and go to get some rest.




2 comments:

  1. but you can change how you react to what they do
    accepting that I have an illness and have limitations and that there is nothing I can do to change that so there isn't much point it letting it upset or trying to fight against it and therefore I will feel happier and calmer and get more pleasure from what I am able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I am trying to do this, but am very sensitive, will keep trying

    ReplyDelete